Home Improvement Woodworking Projects
I have been working on some additional carpentry projects both inside and outside the house. While some are of no special interest to woodworkers there are a few that are rather special. Right now I just haven’t had the chance to actually take any photos of the work. I’ll have to correct that situation and post some here.
After we had some professionals install our new front door I added some Craftsman style molding around it and added similar molding to the adjacent windows (not in this picture).
This website was created and is maintained by Don Bullock.
He can be reached at email@example.com
All material on this website is copyright by Donald W. Bullock
All rights are reserved
Through the Internet I found a guy that sold custom stained glass panels and other items. With his input I designed some simple stained glass inserts for the vent opening. The one for the master was pretty large compared to all the others which were a uniform size. After the panels were made I installed them in the openings that were left after I removed the grills.
Later on I went back and redid the molding around the doors to incorporate the stained glass panels. This made them look like transom windows. Yes, I've still got to go back and do similar molding inside each of the four bedrooms.
I guess this "fix" was so ugly that I didn't take any pictures of it. The few photos I do have were because it was in the background of a picture of the dogs.
After a long delay and with the assistance of two of the girls who decided that they had to both go throught the narrow gate at the same time I started constructing a new gate for the opening. Before it's completion two other girls wiped out the whole gate while trying to run through it at full speed. Fortunately the girls were fine but the whole gate structure broke in two pieces.
The front door was rather plain. While visiting the San Diego County Fair we met a lady who put custom stained glass in doors. They were a whole package deal. After talking with her we decided to comission a new front door for the house.
When we bought our home it had a very unusual feature that was very uglyly. Above each of the bedroom doors it had openings that were supposed to be HVAC air return vents. Fixing this was one of my first projects after we moved in.
We wanted a way to block off the family room from the rest of the house. By doing so we could separate the dogs if needed and keep them out of the rest of the house and away from the front door when necessary.
Opening Between Kitchen Area & the Family Room
On one side there was a 36 inch wide doorway inwhich I installed a nice wood baby gate that I found online. But, on the other end of the kitchen area the opening was almost six feet wide. The only baby gate I could find to fit that spot was one made out of metal that had to be wedged into the opening. While it did include a gate it was only about 24 inches wide.
What I came up with was a bookshelf that closed off part of the opening and a 36 inch wide sliding gate to close off the rest. They are both made from red oak with black walnut accents.
The bookshelf has now become the place for our albums of our AKC Champions and some of our collection of basset hound items. Nadia is checking out the new addition from a safe distance.
Master bedroom doorway off of front entry.
The other bedroom doorways have smaller openings.